Hurricane season is a reality we face in Charleston, SC, and being prepared is essential to protect your property and ensure the safety of your tenants. At CREC Property Management, we’re here to guide you through the steps to get your home or apartment ready for whatever the season brings. Here are some crucial tips:
- Inspect Roofs and Gutters: Ensure roofs are in good condition, and gutters are clear of debris to prevent water accumulation and potential leaks.
- Trim Trees and Shrubs: Trim overhanging branches and remove dead trees or limbs that could pose a threat during high winds.
- Secure Outdoor Items: Store or secure outdoor furniture, garden equipment, and loose objects that could become projectiles.
Windows and Doors:
- Install Storm Shutters: Consider installing storm shutters to protect windows from debris and high winds.
- Reinforce Entry Points: Strengthen doors and windows with impact-resistant materials or board them up if necessary.
- Turn Off Utilities: In case of evacuation, know how to turn off gas, electricity, and water to prevent potential hazards.
- Backup Power Sources: Consider investing in a generator to ensure you have power during and after the storm.
- Create an Emergency Kit: Assemble a kit with essential supplies like water, non-perishable food, first aid items, flashlights, batteries, and important documents.
- Secure Fragile Items: Safely store or secure valuables, electronics, and important documents in a waterproof container.
- Elevate Belongings: If you’re in a flood-prone area, elevate furniture and belongings to prevent water damage.
Communication and Evacuation:
- Stay Informed: Keep track of weather updates and emergency alerts through reliable sources.
- Have a Communication Plan: Ensure tenants know how to reach you and have a plan in place to communicate important information.
- Know Your Evacuation Route: Familiarize yourself and your tenants with evacuation routes in case of a mandatory evacuation order.
- Inspect for Damage: After the storm, inspect your property for any damage and address urgent repairs promptly.
- Address Water Intrusion: If flooding occurs, address water intrusion immediately to prevent mold growth and further damage.
Remember, CREC Property Management is here to support you throughout hurricane season. Our expert team can provide guidance and assistance in ensuring your property is prepared and protected. Stay safe, stay informed, and let’s navigate the season together.